September 21-22, 2010
In the spring of 1851 Asa Hawley, a native of Vermont, traveled the Overland Trail to Mormon Station, now Genoa in Nevada, eventually settling in Hangtown, then followed the Johnson’s Cutoff back to Tahoe’s Upper Lake Valley where he homesteaded 160 acres and established a trading post in the summer of 1855.
Looking for an easier route from the floor of the valley to the top of Johnson’s Hill, Hawley developed “Hawley’s Trail” . Hawley Trail climbed up the mountainside above Lake Valley, rising nearly 1000’ in 1 1/3 miles to the summit.
The base of Hawley Trail was 2 ½ miles south of the original Johnson’s wagon road, which ascended directly up the mountain to the summit.
On the afternoon of September 21stmembers of the CA-NV Chapter met at the home of Dick and Joan Young in Lake Valley.
After a brief history of the Hawley Grade by trail guide John Winner, the group was shuttled to the top of Echo summit (Hwy 50) and then hiked down the Hawley Grade.
The hike included spectacular views of the Tahoe basin and an appreciation of the effort required to develop this wagon road, also used by the Pony Express for a short period of time.
At the conclusion of the hike the group was shuttled back to the Young’s home and treated to a deep pit BBQ , joined by special guest Shirley (Celio) Taylor owner of the pioneer Celio ranch in Lake Valley.