The Grizzly Flat Cutoff was opened in 1852. It leaves the Carson Mormon Route just north of Leek Springs and follows Baltic Ridge west, descending to Capps Crossing on the Cosumnes River. Ascending the hill south of the river it follows ridges down to the town of Grizzly Flat.
It was used as an alternative route to Placerville and Ione.
Caroline Richardson (1852) described the Grizzly Flat Cutoff near Leek Springs
Emigrant diaries describe completing the twenty mile cutoff in a day although some camped about half way, on the river, at Capps Crossing.