The Applegate Trail to Southern Oregon was opened in 1846. A party of Oregon pioneers set out from the lower Willamette Valley settlements with the goal of opening a southern wagon road into Oregon. They were led by Jesse Applegate and Levi Scott. Originally the new trail was known as the Southern Road to Oregon. Jesse Applegate publicized the opening of the road and it became the Applegate Trail.